Monday, November 28, 2005

Unruly Affections

Let’s examine the elusive topic of love. It’s the greatest, yet hardest thing to grasp. You think you know it sometimes, and then it slips away like as an eel in the water. It is the very thing that drives a sane person insane. It can also be motivation for vice versa to fuel the person to do wonderfully rational things. Love changes everything, teaches you anything.

Personally, I’ve come to a point where I confess having stirring desires to share my life with someone, yet on the other hand, dread the process of being love sick.
It disturbs me to find that I cannot think, read, sleep, focus or even pray properly without my mind drifting to think about that certain person. It’s exasperating really! It’s a good thing the Lord understands and has compassion on his people, and remembers that I am not perfect… just still work in progress. (WIP)


Now lovesickness may seem like a trifle compared to other major maladies, but the one who is sick with love, is sick in-deed. And God knows that… he draws us to our deepest heart depths to test us. Like how gold & silver is tested through the refining fire. And if we truly are the people who have set our hearts on His Kingdom, we will not be described as the people the Psalmists say in Psalms 78:8 “a generation with no firm purpose, with hearts not fixed steadfastly on God”.

Because I am commanded to do so, even as my mind is filled with wondering, my heart is filled with longing, my soul asks “Why?” But then the quiet words of the Lord resound within the depths of me, “Wait upon the Lord.” And indeed I would find the true joy of life.

Lord, I have said the eternal Yes. Let me never, having put my hand to the plough, look back. Make straight the way of the Cross before me, Give me love, that there may be no room for a wayward thought or step. A love only You can satisfy, the all encompassing love you have first given when you laid down your son Jesus to die for my sins on my behalf. You gave All for me, you deserve All from me. Help me to die to all of myself, so that I may live totally in you. One thing I desire… be it by water or fire, make me clean O Lord. Give me the faith to believe the things I cannot see, just like a farmer planting a seed and watering it daily. I trust in Your unfailing love and plan for me in my life.


Take my love- my God, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
FRANCIS RIDLEY HAVERFGAL

No comments: