Friday, January 04, 2008

1st Jan - A Silver Anniversary

Dad & Mum’s Silver Anniversary - 25 Years

It was beautiful. Beyond being nervous about being the MC, feeling a tad worried that I might have missed out on certain details in the event flow or that I may not have enough rehearsal time, or time to dress up mum and myself …. But in the end, I think God planned it all completely well for me. Without Him, I couldn’t have thought out of such a perfect plan.

Proverbs 19: 21 which says, “Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the LOR’D’S purpose that prevails.”

The Lord provided for all things. Truly. Even the surmountable amount of things I needed to do were all streamlined and fell into place nicely. My younger brother, Stevie, was a wonderful coordinator and P/R person. He went down earlier to the ballroom to get acquainted with the staff, and settle things with the dining captain, while I was upstairs dressing myself and mum up. God! Was I afraid of botching up her make-up, b’cause I sure was no expert. By the time I came downstairs to the ballroom, all I had to do was do a sound check on the mic, instruments, and do a brief run through of the programme. It was a wonderful feeling to work hand-in-hand, in tandem with Stevie, whom I always felt had very differing views from me, and if we were to work together, we might end up clashing so horribly that nothing much would get done properly. So… he surprised me. Hee.
Thank God also for my cousin, Weiwen, who could come down earlier to bring and help set-up the keyboard & guitars for use.
I wanted this event to be stress-free for my parents, so that they would be able to enjoy the evening as much as possible. I also knew, that this event was meant for one purpose; ie. To glorify God in their lives. Dad & Mum wanted to celebrate their 25th Wedding Anniversary, only because they wanted to use their own lives as a living testimony for their pre-believing friends and relatives… of how faithful God has been to them. As well as to use this opportunity to thank the Spiritual family and display the warmth and love evident in the family of God. I truly felt the love and warmth of a family that evening, even as I stood there as the MC of the evening.

I felt God move my heart, to ‘see’ and survey the wondrous works He has done in my parents’ lives, and how much He has blessed them.

When I finally sang the song, the one I composed for my Dad & Mum. The musical background, played on the keyboard by Weiwen & the guitar by Weiliang, that I felt were crucial to the mood of the song… suddenly faded away out of focus. All that came to my mind, was the lyrics of the song… that meant a lot to me. And all I wanted to do in those moments was to sing it Out… Aloud to them, right into their hearts.
I think they liked it a lot…
My Mum’s face crumpled in the cute way it always does, whenever she felt like crying but wanted to hold it in. Dad had this big silly grin on his face, and when I came nearer towards both of them at the end of the song, He stood up and embraced me in a big bear fashion that was endearingly sweet and Daddy-ish. I’ll Always be Daddy’s Little Girl… Hee.
What I didn’t expect was the rest of the audience’s reaction to the song. I think they liked it! Later, I realized that many of them teared while hearing the song. Wow… Praise God! I’m glad that my first song that I ever composed and performed in front of a live audience turned out well…

When my brother presented his video montage to Dad & Mum, and then led our friends and family to toast the couple with “Cheers!”, in a supposedly more ‘civilised’ manner compared to the usual draggy ‘Yuuuuum Sennnggg!” The audience obediently complied for the first few seconds, before it seconded to a roll of the tongue to become, “CHEERSssssss…….. SENG!” Oh dear me! Oh My! I think I never laughed so hard while having a toast before… it was indeed a light hearted moment for everyone. My Dad & Mum were beaming from ear to ear. My heart cheered to see that everyone was enjoying themselves, and none of those event formalities mattered. Everyone felt like Family that evening! And Indeed, they were. They were the Family, God has blessed my parents with in their lives, Biological, and Spiritual. To support them, be with them, in all seasons of life.
There were so many, uncountable things that evening that I could thank God for. Indeed, it was a wonderful start off to the New Year for the whole family. I could sense that our extended family was blessed by the presence of God’s people that evening… as well as, hearing testimonies from Dad, Mum, Stevie and myself of how God has been wonderful to us.

May this Year of Sabbath, 2008, be one that will draw our hearts closer to Him… The one who created the universe, who is their maker, who longs to walk with us, will call out to us by our Name. May the Lord continue to bless us, so that we can be a family that blesses, because we have been blessed.
May all who read this receive a touch of God’s love for you right this moment!
May All Glory be to God, forever and ever. Amen!

Joshua 24:15 “But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

No comments: