Monday, July 13, 2009

WWJD in the Middle

i went to see my doctor today. Felt a little under the weather and dizzy. 1pm, the clinic's gate was uninviting shut. I squinted against the sun at the words on the signboard and realized that it was lunch time till 2pm.

Thank God for the perpetual locality of Macdonalds. I remembered a nearby one in my mind, and walked towards that direction.

Walking around almost in a daze, with the heat of the afternoon sun beating down upon my back, I couldn’t and most certainly didn’t expect what happened next.

In The Middle, between the Clinic and Macdonalds, as I walked past some provision shops, I heard a soft voice ring out, “Give me $2 to eat… Give me $2 to eat… Please give me $2 to eat…”

The one making the plea was a middle aged woman in her 50s, donning t-shirt, bermudas and slippers. She was standing by the corridors of the neighbourhood provision shops.

I slowed down, wondering if I should give her $2. Before I could decide, my eyes averted her to look straight ahead & my feet walked on. I forced my heart not to feel.

1.20pm, I reached Macdonalds. I ordered a drink and sat down to savour the cool air conditioning of the place. I pondered. I felt something niggling at me… guilt. How long more did the lady have to stand there? Will anyone give her any money?

I opened my book to continue where I left off… my eyes fell on these words, “We are to hear God’s words and do them. (See James 1:22-25) we must not stop with only hearing (or studying) his words. Our hearing must result in doing… to result in Godly fruits in our lives.”

The Lord has spoken to my heart. I knew I had to go back.

So I closed my book, picked up my drink, and retraced my route back to her, half murmuring under my breath, hoping that she would still be there.

But along the corridors of the provision shops… I could not find her… I wondered if she had gotten her lunch money from a kind stranger.

I walked back towards the clinic heavy hearted. I realized now, that should I have resolved in my heart firstly to demonstrate God’s love, even to strangers, then I would have offered her something.

Perhaps she was an angel used by God to teach me something today. Perhaps I might meet her again some day. But today, I’m sorry God. I repent of my hardened heart, and resolve to offer something to someone, the next time he/she comes by. I’ll be ready then Lord.

2pm, standing outside the clinic, the metal roller shutters reeled open noisily, and I joined the queue that streamed inside to see the doctor. Indeed, it’s not the well that Jesus came to demonstrate his love for, but for the sick. Thank you Jesus for showing me your own heart today. Help me to remember, WWJD.

No comments: